Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Reinhold Messner vs. Rivers Cuomo: Why Weezer Should Dissolve & Rivers Cuomo should go into hiding?




I was thinking today about how some bands should break up so people can appreciate them in a decade and they can stop ruing their legacy with shitbox after shitbox. Yes, I'm talking about Weezer. Go back into hibernation till 2018 and go back on tour playing The Blue Album & Pinkerton in full. I'll send $40 to your Paypal account for the first ticket. (Props on the stache and the cowboy gear as well)

What brought this to mind but an e-mail I got telling me that there was a Ben Folds Five Reunion show via ye ole Myspace. Normally, this kind of announcement wouldn't phase me. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy Ben Folds in my day, ases 12-15 or so. I'm not embarrassed to own Whatever & Ever Amen no matter how many times MTV and radio stations tried to overplay BFF's one major hit "Brick." Ben Folds Five was like an ignored little brother to Weezer for the most part; a couple of Carolina boys who played dorky, piano laced jazzy ballads but their catchy bubbly songs had undercurrents of anguish and sing-a-long worthy lyrics.

What did catch my attention was what they were playing
, their under appreciated final album The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner. Playing full classic is part of a cool popular fad that has popped up lately. (I think it was started by Phish who play the same song over and over again at every show I think so.) Artists like Sonic Youth, Slint, Brian Wilson have done it for festivals like All Tommorrow's parties and the Pitchfork Music Festival.

Wired posted a Full Album Concert Wish-list
back in the summer and I couldn't agree more on Pixie's Surfer Rosa while I'd add

  • At The Drive In - Relationship of Command
  • Beck - Odelay
  • Radiohead - OK Computer
  • Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
  • The Presidents of the USA - Self Titled
  • Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
  • Nirvana - Nevermind
  • Liars - They Threw Us In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top (If only to see if they would get tired playing a 30 minute repetitive closing song "This Dust Makes That Mud")
  • Can - Tago Mago
  • eels - Electro Shock Blues
  • Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
  • And just about every Pavement album
It's no wonder that this is pretty much just a list of my favorite albums. So back to the three men of Ben Folds Five. If you enjoy Reinhold Messner, you'll find this to be a nice treat (I'm partial to opener "Narcolepsy" and the humorous, the self deprecating "Redneck Past," "Don't Change Your Plans" and the appropriate for the times "Army". Enjoy!



See you in ten years Rivers for The Blue Album / Pinkerton tour.




More Random Music Links



No comments: